Crescendo International Competitions
Crescendo International Music Competition is a musical competition held annually for our youth. From November 2013 to February 2014, we will be holding competitions in various establishments throughout New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Canada, Germany, Korea, Austria and Russia.
The Winners Concerts will be held on January 19, 25 and February 8, 16, 17 2014 in Carnegie Hall, New York, USA.
* Canadian applicants should refer to the following contacts regarding information about Auditions and Recitals:
* British Columbia applicants should refer to Mrs. Rebecca Cheng CrescendoCompetition@TomLeeMusic.Ca
Crescendo International Music Competition is open to all instrumentalists (Piano, Strings and Winds), duets, ensembles and vocalists ages 5-21.
Dependent on skill level, contestants will be placed in one of three competing categories: Junior, Intermediate or Advanced.
Contestants will be grouped according to their age as a November 1, 2013.
A. An original copy of the Application must be submitted via one of two options: (Application form is attached)
- Mail – We ask that you do not send the application by certified mail, and we would like to remind you that handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- E-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.To avoid any misspelling and legibility issues, we prefer to receive applications in electronic format. Specify payment type on your application
B. A non-refundable registration fee of 75.00 USD money orders should be made payable to Crescendo Competitions, Inc., and are to be submitted along with the completed application(s) to: Crescendo Competitions to Rebecca Cheng Crescendo International Competition, Tom Lee Music Academy, 929 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1L3
C. The deadline for the Application submission is November 5, 2013. Late Fee of $40 USD will be charged for Application received after November 5, 2013.
Application received after November 12, 2013 won't be accepted.
D. The deadline for the submission of video/audio recordings for foreign applicants is November 5, 2013.
- One selection of Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern work must be chosen and performed from memory (Arrangements, simplified editions, popular music and/or non-classical music from method books are not acceptable).
- Classification of Divisions: using Royal Conservatory Examination grading system for reference.
Junior Division: Beginner to RCM Grade 4
Intermediate Division: RCM Grade 5 –Grade 8
Senior Division: RCM Grade 9 and above
- No changes in the submitted repertoire may be made once a contestant is admitted.
- Organized committee may have the rights to decide the placement for each participant.
- Performance time should not exceed 6 minutes. If performance time is greater them 6 min, performer will be charged an extra $100 for each additional minute in accordance to Carnegie Hall regulations.
- Auditions will be held on December 1, 2013 at: Tom Lee Music Recital Hall, Tom Lee Music Academy, 3rd Floor, 929 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC.
- The original score will be given by the judge. No make ups will be allowed, and the ruling passed by the judge will be final.
- All contestants must wear proper attire. It is the responsibility of the proctor to inform their students that no jeans, short skirts, sneakers, or boots will be allowed.
- No parents, teachers or friends are allowed during audition.
- Neither videotaping nor recording are permitted during auditions.
- For out of town applicants, you may submit audio/video recording with the applications before the deadline to the Co-ordinator.
- For details of the auditions, please contact the local co-coordinator, Rebecca Cheng at Tom Lee Music Academy. 604-688-8929:
A. A concert for those who achieved First and Second place honors will be held at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall, 154 West 57th Street, New York, NY on the following dates:
- January 19, 2014
- January 25, 2014
- February 8, 2014
- February 16, 2014
- February 17, 2014
*A recital fee of 225 USD will be assessed.
* Performance time should not exceed 6 minutes. If performance time is greater them 6 min, performer will be charged an extra $100 for each additional minute in accordance to Carnegie Hall regulations.
Please note that the use of cameras, camcorders or any audio/visual recording devices is strictly forbidden by Carnegie Hall administration. Photos may be requested, please inform the coordinator.
B. An Honor concert for those who participate will be held at Tom Lee Music Recital Hal, 929 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1L3, Canada on December 14, 2013.*
*A recital fee of 40 USD will be assessed. (includes 4 complimentary tickets)
C. Performers must be present until the conclusion of the recital in order to participate in the award presentation. No diplomas or medals will be sent via mail.
D. All contestants must confirm their participation in the Honor Concerts by December 24, 2013.
First Place Honor
Second Place Honor
Third Place Honor
PRIZES (monetary grants).
Cash reward fund of Crescendo International Competition now over 10,000 USD.
Grand Prize $1,000
First Prize $500
Second Prize $300
Third Prize $200
Additionally, 300 Cash prizes will be awarded to "Best Performance" within the performer's respective age group,
* Please, note that the award system is established in a manner which those who receive the First Place honor are not necessarily predisposed to receive a Prize.
An applicant's placement does not always correspond to the Prize they receive. With that being said, only judges may promote a winner's Prize in the case of a special achievement.
Students will receive board certified diplomas and instructors will receive a certificate of excellence.
Students who have been qualified and participated in the Crescendo International Competition's Carnegie Hall winners' recitals for 5 (five) consecutive years or more are eligible to receive Certificate of Achievements accompanying the Qualification Record for presentation in High School and College for receiving extra credits and placement in High School or College program.
All winners are eligible to participate in the upcoming International Student Exchange Program (SEP) hosted throughout USA, Canada, Germany, Austria, Russia and China.
Tickets can be purchased for each respective concert for the amount listed below:
- Carnegie Hall – $50 USD
- Tom Lee Music Recital Hall - $10 CAD for Third Place Honor Concert
Tickets can be ascertained by speaking with a Crescendo staff member at (973) 599-0221; or request tickets by sending a check or money order made payable to Crescendo Competitions, Inc., to: Crescendo Competition, 4 Lyons Place, East Hanover, NJ 07936. Please note, if paying by check please specify for which concert and how many tickets you wish to purchase.